In 2011, 1.2 million children under five died from pneumonia — more than the number claimed each year by AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis combined. Pneumonia affects children around the globe, but it is particularly devastating in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. Every day 19,000 children are dying around the world from Pneumonia, and CHWs are an important piece of the puzzle in reversing these figures. Visit the World Pneumonia Day website to Learn, Act, and Connect.
SC4CCM is observing World Pneumonia Day 2012 by getting involved in several initiatives:
- SC4CCM posted a new video on Youtube called Theory of Change: An Effective Tool for Finding Community Supply Chain Solutions. Watch the video here to learn about how SC4CCM identified a pathway to change for improving medicines for sick children in communities.
- Joel Lamstein, President of JSI, blogs in the Huffington Post about the importance of the Last mile of the supply chain getting medicines to sick children for World Pneumonia Day. The blog mentions SC4CCM and the important work that CHWs are doing to treat children in hard to reach areas. Read Joel’s blog here.
- The REAL Awards are an initiative of the Frontline Health Workers Coalition and Save the Children. SC4CCM nomiated 3 CHWs and one was chosen for a REAL Award. We are very proud of the award recipient Tirhas Mebretian from Ethiopia for her hard work and innovation in preventing child dealths in her community. Read her story here and view her video on our multimedia page or on youtube.
To learn more about treating Pneumonia:
- Read this statement by the Amoxicillin working group about dispersible amoxicillin
- Read the joint statement by the UN Secretary-General’s Every Woman, Every Child movement and the Global Coalition Against Child Pneumonia which references the importance of amoxicillin
- Check out the series of blog posts by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation on pneumonia on Impatient Optimists
- NFL Hall of Fame QB, Steve Young & Seahawks QB, Russell Wilson: Let’s Sideline Pneumonia
- Save The Children’s Dave Marsh: One Way to Save Millions of Lives from Pneumonia
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s Saul Morris: “Cyber-Doctors” Help Conquer Pneumonia in India
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s Orin Levine: World Pneumonia Day’s Humble Beginnings